Sunday, September 15, 2013


"If you're anything like me, you've experienced a season (or many) where everything feels hard, where living in a new city (or an old one) is lonesome, and empty, and you wonder if you'll ever put down roots and feel at home. Being at home is not merely geographic--it's having a sense of belonging, and feeling known, knowing others. When I feel out of place, it's easy for me to clam up, to close in on myself, and to begin ticking off the things I lack. At times, this inventory includes the carefree charisma to charm, the tight-knit community I crave, the invitations to cozy soup suppers and evenings spent around the fire. In short, I keep my head down, with my hands firmly clenched around my laundry list of wants.
        During one particular season, in which I experienced this wanting most deeply, the thing that eventually changed me was not suddenly coming into a cache of friends, or resigning myself to self-pity; instead, my self-focused gaze shifted, and I began looking at and wondering about others around me. I quickly found that the antidote to discontent is examining what I do have, and sorting out how I might freely share it with others." --Julie Pointer for Kinfolk

 I thought leaving Victoria and returning to my hometown was going to be simple, easy even. I thought that I would reconnect with old friends, find a job, slip into a community, and just. be. happy. When my old friends weren't who I remembered them to be, and a job didn't come easy, and community felt further away then ever, I thought I had made a mistake. I thought that Kelowna was one big mistake.

And then I realized that I had been focusing on, what Julie describes above as, "my laundry list of wants."And you know what, that "laundry list" is keeping me from experiencing my joys. And I know, I know, know, know, that Kelowna has some big time joys.

So friends, if you were worried about me, if you thought I was pushing you away, it has nothing to do with how much I care about you and everything to do with my need to feel like this new, old place is home. And I think this new, old place can be home if I want it to be--and right now I want it to be.

So I've made a decision. It may all be very silly and I may look back and wonder why I thought this would be a good place to spend my time, but I want to use this blog. I'm gonna be a blogger. And really, all it's going to be is a love letter to my joys, and a love letter to you, my dear, dear (and missed) friends.


So, without further ado, away we go.


5 comments:

Tauna said...

"Antidote to discontent is examining what I have to give and sharing it with others"

You have so much to give Allison. You have so many quandaries that can't be taught. You genuinely get the heart of social work, understand the need to take care of yourself (and have the discipline to do it). and know how to live you're own company (which is a trait everyone wishes they could give to those loved ones but no one seems to have for themselves)... And really, what's not to love about you!

I love remembering our walk around thetis lake... Hope you find friends and mentors who bring out the truest parts of you!

Tauna said...

When I say quandaries, I mean qualities. When I say live, I mean like. When I say those, I mean their. I'm responding to this on my cell phone and it's difficult when it comes to editing. :(

Tauna said...

Oh, this is meet by the way. I unfortunately made an anonymous blog... Which I guess isn't anonymous anymore: (

Tauna said...

When I say meet... I mean meg.

AllisonLouise said...

haha Meg, I love you! And I love that I'm not the only one who's undone by autocorrect. I wont even click on your blog and therefore it will remain anonymous!